Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Dash mounted fish finder on my 2286

MT313
MT313 Member Posts: 4
edited August 2014 in Photos

I hated cutting into my brand new dash, but it was well worth it!  Typically you mount a fish finder on a telescoping arm which can rub on the cover and to me, just looks unsightly.  This is out of the way and has a custom look.  While I had the dash trim piece off, I fortified it with epoxy and popsicle sticks since the plastic is pretty thin.

Comments

• CRF
    CRF Member Posts: 191 ✭✭✭

looks good, mine was factory done, lucky me ! I also mounted a rear view mirror near it.
  • Boomer
    Boomer Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Nice job been thinking about putting one in.
  • Dude
    Dude Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for posting a pic!  I'm getting ready to install that same finder in my 2286
  • Ddancers
    Ddancers Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Nice Job I'm curious was a dash mounted fish finder an option on your Sweetwater Model, and if so did you do it yourself as a savings. I upgraded to the Garmin 50s GPS/Fish Finder-dash mount but to be honest even though it's an excellent unit the cost factor was way over priced. I would have gone with another Garmin unit but the Elite 4X was the only other option and I've always preferred Garmin. However if I were to do it again I'd go with the Elite because I ended up buying an additional Garmin sonar unit and don't really need the GPS function. As an option both units in my option were over priced but not having a trailer (always at Marina) installing one myself would be a hassle. Again Nice Job!
  • Boomer
    My only concern on cutting the dash is if the unit goes bad then you have to shop for something to fit the hole you've already cut. I'm thinking of a pedestal mount over by the radio antenna. kind of like this mount
  • Ddancers
    The pedestal mount is Ok as long as the wires aren't a factor. Some mounts allow the wires to pass through the base some don't.
  • Boomer
    The Echo Series goes through the base and has quick disconnect the way I read it
  • Boomer
    edited January 2015
    I'm looking at a 301C or 501c in the $150 to $200 Range

http://sites.garmin.com/en-US/echo/
  • Ddancers
    edited January 2015
    Yea most Garmin's wires go through the base and the Quick Release is nice so that you don't have to leave it onboard and can easily do firmware updates if needed. I don't think it will swivel a full 90 degrees so straight up mounting limits where you can install them. I've had a least 7 Garmin units and liked them all except the 276 GPS because you couldn't see it with any amount of sunshine, where as the 276C was the same unit in color and easily view in direct sunlight. For me the three thing I look for is a fish alarm , easily viewed in sunlight and the ability to view fish symbols  instead of arches. I miss the unit I once had, don't remember what the model was, but the direction of the fish symbols indicated what side of the boat the fish were on. Boy I miss that unit don't know why they all don't have that feature. The unit I have now has a fish alarm but you can hardly hear it, hope someday software upgrade will improve it.
  • Boomer
    Thanks Ddancers for the imfo

• cawllins
    cawllins Member Posts: 4
    I was looking at this fish finder this afternoon and I may go with it.  I was wondering if it would fit above the radio so I'm glad I came back to this site and I definitely appreciate your post.  Just out of curiosity, what did you cut the dash panel with?  Did you buy the optional flush mount kit for the lowrance?
  • Boomer
    Not much traffic here but I would say a Dremil would do the job I'm going to mount mine to the right in front of the radio antenna don't want to cut a hole then down the road upgrade and then try and match a unit to the hole you already have.
  • Boomer
    I have a 2286 tri tune with the under skin anyone have any trouble fishing the transducer to the helm?
  • Boomer
    Boomer here anyone answer my question above
  • huck
    huck Member Posts: 2
    I am mounting mine to the right of the windshield on the flat recessed place. Will drill 3/4 in hole to run wires and connect to ACC switch. Fits nicely there. Wanted to install above radio but can't get that panel out. Had me nuts.