Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

I just received a brand new 2286fc 2015 with a 115 yamaha and its blowing out...what to do?

I bought a brand new 2015 yamaha 2286fc with the yamaha 115lb and the engine rpms are running very high and sounds weird.  There is a sticker on the back of the boat that says the engine should be mounted in the third hole from the top but this seems too high.....Help!

Answers

• Ddancers
    Ddancers Member Posts: 110 ✭✭

I have the same problem with my 2015 240 DF. On the lake with 1ft chop the RPM shoots up about 1k or more on and off when accelerating. Dealer Mech said the 115 HP is mounted correctly , but I don't think it should be doing as poorly as it does at times. The trim is useless have to always leave it completely down. Next time lake has any type of chop I'll see if he's willing to go out with me. I believe having the 27 inch tubes results in the engine sitting to high and it doesn't look like it can be lower anymore, but I'm not a mechanic so not sure.

• Ddancers

Spoke to Service department concerning this problem. They told me they are aware of the problem on the Sweetwater pontoons, especially the ones with the 27 inch tubes. They told me to slow down when it happens, but that's not a fix in fact I'm unable sometimes with chop to exceed 12 MPH. Stated will contact Godfrey for possible solution. So hay Godfrey please contact your sellers with that solution, this is unacceptable.

• MACNH1
    MACNH1 Member Posts: 1
    Engine is mounted too high for buoyancy of boat....you should be able to trim the boat up without it cavitating, if you have to run it trimmed all the way down and it cavitates still and the dealer tells you to slow down on a brand new boat....you need to make A LOT of noise...that is unacceptable.
  • mrmechano00
    mrmechano00 Member Posts: 3
    I have the same issue with the 27" 'toons.  That response Ddancers received is really just plain wrong.  Everybody should submit warranty claims on this item until Godfrey addresses the issue fully.
  • Ddancers

Recently happen again when in some lake chop. Caused quick deceleration which actually caused two small children to lift a bit from their seats, just enough to scare me. I spoke to my dealers service department head, and he's assured me that they will work with Godfrey and resolve this issue. Right now I'm told the motor is as low as it can go. Let's face it we all just want a safe good operating vessel.  The 27' tubes are nice to have and rated for coastal, but as is with motor problem I can't imagine that's possible and a fix is definitely needed.

With my dealer's promise I'll remain positive for now, and try to be patient.

• rgboyum
    rgboyum Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2286 DL last year and having the same issues with a 150, dealer said to slow down or to make sure you have enough weight in the back, still didn't fix cavitation, so going to lower the motor hopefully this will help. 
  • rgboyum
    rgboyum Member Posts: 4
    Sorry 220 DL. 
  • Ddancers
    What Size tubes did you get?
  • Ddancers

My motor was already as low as it could be set. My dealer fixed the problem by installing a shaft extension kit, and it was covered by warranty. The cavitation is now gone however I think it might be a bit too low now, because I get an occasionally blow out, and lost a couple mph top end. My major concern was the braking like stall due to the cavitation, but this no longer an issue. Dealer did tell me it's been a problem with most 27" tube setups. When it comes to blow outs a lot of things can cause them especially if you collect debris between tubes, or all the weight is forward. Once I put the toon in reverse for about 25 feet to clear out anything that might be underneath, and after doing so it appear to be corrected. Anyway I'm happier now with the way it runs. 

• ThePad
    ThePad Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a 220DFS and I am having the same cavitation problem. I was face to face with my dealer principal last week and he acted "surprised". Yet, he is one of the largest dealers in the East... Ducky's boats. He then tried to sell me a new propeller. REALLY!!  How do I get this resolved?  Is the extension shaft a warranty resolution? They keep selling these boats like there is not a problem. 
  • ThePad
    Just to clarify, this boat is the Coastal Edition with the 27" pontoons mounted on the 3rd hole.
  • Ddancers
     The cavitation was fixed by installing a shaft extension and my warranty covered it because the dealer did acknowledge the problem.  I still get an occasional blow out, but I believe that may be common for toons. I agree the problem would be better address than dismissed. From what I've read mainly us 27" tube owners. I think they may be drilling extra mount holes now no sure.
  • ThePad

Thanks,  Did they lower the engine to the top (4th) hole? 

• Ddancers

Hi-ThePad

I've never really taken a look at the Engine setup because its always been in the marina slip. I don't have a trailer. I know when I first got it they told me it was as low as it could go. After they installed the shaft extension I don't know if they made any other adjustments. I'll try to see if I can make anything out, but I don't back into my slip so it might not be easy for me to see.

• ThePad
    It appears to be 4 bolts, but an engine support rack is required to hang it during the process. The boat will have to come out of the water.