Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

I noticed that my accessory switch light will not shut off

Options
The accessory switch which controls the docking lights on my 2015 Sweetwater 2086 will not shut off. When switched on, it lights up, however, when switched off the switch continues to show a faint glow. The other switches do not do this. Although it is a very small light, I am concerned about battery drain over extended periods when not in use. Resetting the fuse button does nothing. Is this a defective switch? Can anyone help? I've disconnected the battery since I will not use the boat for several weeks. Thank you.

Answers

• Rickster
    Rickster Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I have a similar issue with my docking light switch.  When I turn the docking lights off they go dark, but after a few second period, they start to fad back on bright.  Did you ever get resolution to this?
  • AlChase
    AlChase Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Rickster,
    What you are describing is exactly what is happening. When I turn the switch off, it goes dark, but then lights up again, not as bright as the "On" position, but clearly lit. I only posted yesterday, so you are the first person I have heard from. 
    This is my eighth year with this boat, and I have never noticed this before. As I said in my initial post, this does not occur with the other switches.
    What, if anything, was your solution? Since I don't know if there is any meaningful battery drain, I decided to disconnect the battery. 

Since we both have the problem, I no longer believe its a freak occurrence. I think Godfrey owes us a solution. Hopefully, a few other boaters will read these posts and add their experience. Stay in touch. Thanks.
  • Rickster
    Options
    I have no solution at this time. I haven’t disconnected my battery since I feel any load from this switch is minimal and I’m using the boat enough for the alternator to recharge the battery. 
    As you mentioned I’m hoping someone else chimes in with a similar condition and solution, otherwise I’ll probably need to reach out to a dealer to inquire. Fortunately my boat is still under warranty so I figured I could always bring it there but it’s a pain to load up the boat and drive it for 1.5 hrs to likely have to leave it over this issue. 

• laurencen
    laurencen Member Posts: 7
    Options
    have you tried switching the switches around and see if the issue follows the switch? that would show a bad switch
  • Rickster
    Options
    Update....so yesterday I got on the boat to take a ride and noticed that the docking light switch was not lit. Fearing that the switch light may have burnt out due to it continually being on I was hesitant to switch it on (thinking the light would not come on for whatever reason and the switch might be toast), but I did switch it on and the light came on.  I then switched it off and the light went off!  Did it a couple times and now seems to be working fine. Go figure.  Wish I could take more credit for the outcome but thinking it might have just been good Karma.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Now I'm onto my next issue......my bimini top collecting rainwater and not shedding it. I feel the top is of poor design with the placement of intermediate support bars not in good locations .  Thinking I may need to add in a centerline support between bars to maintain a good enough pitch or crown. Ugghhhhh!
  • AlChase
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. What happened to you Rickster is probably what I will find when I am at my boat again in a couple of weeks. The answer is that because the situation resolved itself, we will be forever keeping an eye on that switch, and of course it is likely to happen again. The mysteries of life! lol.
    As for your problem with the bimini being unable to shed the rainwater, I have seen someone else with this problem. That person ran a thin, flexible piece of metal from one support to the other. He covered it with a colored duct tape to match the bimini top, and it seems to work fine, curving just enough to redirect the water. However, if you lower / raise the top, you will need to dislodge the metal bar first so as to not damage the fabric.
  • Rickster
    Options
    Thanks for the Bimini suggestion and I’ve done just that, put a support expansion pole between the two brackets. I may have to “dress it up” a bit but hopefully does the trick. Unfortunate that it adds another step in setup and another pole to store. 
  • AlChase
    Options
    After not having used my boat in a few weeks, I took it for spin prior to putting it away for the season. Magically, the accessory switch did not remain lit this time. It may just be that there was pent-up power remaining in the line? It doesn't take much to light an LED. Anyway, the problem is gone for now. Its still a bit unsettling since the switch should not remain lit in any case. Thanks to all for their suggestions.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] USAPosts: 0 admin
    Options
    It sounds like you have a loose connection on the back of the switch or possibly down the line. You will want to investigate this as it could cause big problems is left unrepaired.