Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Prop advice for Sweetwater 200 PE Tritoon

253checkmate
253checkmate Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
I just received my 2014 Sweetwater 200 PE Tritoon with a 115 Yamaha. I'm still breaking in the engine so I don't have any performance data yet. It came with a 13.25 x 17" aluminum prop. I was hoping to get a S/S prop to improve performance in the near future. Does anyone have any experience with this type of boat/engine combo? From what I have been reading the aftermarket 3 blade S/S props are the better choice than the Yamaha S/S props and much cheaper in price? I am very impressed so far with the tritoon compared to my old 2086. Thanks.

Comments

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 137 admin

Response from Matt in Godfrey Pontoons Customer Support: 

A SS prop is typically quite a bit more expensive actually.  If he decided to change to SS he will need to go down a pitch because they are a heavier material.  Typically we don’t supply SS props for engines under 150HP.  Many things to consider here though.  Where will the boat be used?  If in shallow water, I would suggest using aluminum just because if the prop makes contact with an object in the water, the aluminum prop will bend/break, where a SS prop has much less give and could result in a damaged lower unit.  This would be a costly repair.  Cheaper to replace an aluminum prop than a SS prop and a lower unit.  Check out www.turningpointpropellers.com for some good research on different prop configurations.

• fuggetaboutit
    fuggetaboutit Member Posts: 9
    excellent advice!! I have the same engine on my new Sanpan, and it has a 15" pitch prop, and I have tried a 4 blade 13.25 x 13", and it reduced my boats top speed drastically, I am now trying a 13.25 x 17" aluminum prop for better results, remember to check with Yamaha's website, they have performance bulletins for many Godfrey boats, and are very helpful, whatever you do, if you replace the prop, make sure you do not exceed the engine rpms' recommendations, see the bulletins for that window, good luck with your boat!
  • 253checkmate
    253checkmate Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Yeah, the boat already has a 17" aluminum prop on it. I finally broke the engine in this past weekend. I am going to check out the rpm's and go from there. Thanks.