Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Operating in a river

Options
D Bell
D Bell Member Posts: 2
Hi Capt Steve. I have a 2003 Sweet Water 18 ( named the Spawntaneous 1 )with the 40 hp Yamaha and owned since new. I love this boat and we also have a 17 ft Duckworth jet boat. There are some slower deep sections of the Salmon river that the Duckworth works fine but I've been very tempted to take my pontoon on. Have you heard of using a pontoon on this type of water. I'm in my mid 50s and have boated all my life as well as kayak and white water raft. I've never seen a pontoon on this type of water. My main concern would be rock damage on gravel bars. is there a method of soldering a tear or hole in the pontoon? Thanks for your consideration, D Bell Boise Id.

Comments

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 137 admin
    Options
    Hmmmm... sure, pontoons can be welded, but I've never really taken a pontoon out in that sort of water. Maybe someone else can weigh in on that. Of course, your pontoon won't be drawing much water, so if the water is slow and deep enough, you might be okay. The pontoons on your Sweetwater are extremely tough. Good luck!
  • RickFisher
    RickFisher Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Options
    I really don't think you want the logs bouncing off rocks.  Not even once, in my opinion.  Would really ruin your day.  I've been on several rivers, which were fully navigable, and the only concern was current.  It has a tremendous effect on pontoon handling.