Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Dash button lights are blinding at night

The dash lights on my 2015 are so bright that I can't see at night.  This boat is dangerous at night.  The lights are so bright navigation lights are not visible by other boaters.  I need to be able to dim the button lights. 

The owners manual has nothing related to this issue.

This boat is dangerous at night.

Comments

• CRF
    CRF Member Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I would get some opaque red tape and put it over the holes the light shines through on the buttons. If that doesn't dim, try two layers or go to black tape. Red should help your night vision. If you're under warranty, just let the dealer look at it at the 20 hr service. Take some photos to show them.
  • jetfixer
    jetfixer Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    I agree. Godfrey uses Carling switches. I'm thinking of adding one of their dimmer switches. They list for $62, but they are listed here for $17.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191453786999?lpid=82&chn=ps
  • jetfixer
    Gave in and bought one...
  • jetfixer
    Put the dimmer in yesterday. What a difference! This is what you need. I have a 2015 Aqua Patio 220rc. There was a capped off hole in the circuit breaker panel (probably for a small style hour meter), I enlarged that hole and installed the switch there. The dimmer controls everything except the depth finder, the radio, and the small ovals in the bottom half of the switches. I'm going to remove the switch caps and paint the ovals slightly darker since they are still too bright. Last night, with just the Master and Nav switches on, the radio rain cover closed, and the depth finder dimmed on it's own, the difference was amazing.
  • jetfixer
    Popped off the  switch caps and found that they have molded in lenses to magnify the light. Without the caps on, the bulbs for the lower ovals are extremely bright. After trial and error, I ended up using black finger nail polish and completely coated the lower lenses. This seems to be the answer. I can still see the lights are on in daylight, but they are not too bright at night now.
  • lakation
    lakation Member Posts: 1
    I tolerated my bright LEDs for a year (Aqua Patio 2015) but I can't any longer. I can't see to the front of the boat when seated at the helm, let alone out in front of the boat. I have to stand up to pilot at night. Just called my dealer and asked for dimmer kit to be installed. This is aftermarket to my understanding. Godfrey should offer free retrofit kit for all boats with these bright LED's before someone gets injured and....just after that....some attorney get involved since this is definitely a design issue at the factory. I understand that Godfrey outsources the helm, but that is no matter, the buck stops at Godfrey. You are the manufacturer. Fix the problem please with a simple dimmer before someone gets injured!