Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

What position should my engine be in while trailering?

MT313
MT313 Member Posts: 4
Should I have my engine all the way up or down?  The tech said to leave it all the way down, but I would scrape my skeg on certain hills.  Currently I've been lowering it to the point where the engine rests on the trim pistons.  This seems like it would give it additional support.
Tagged:

Answers

• beaumont
    beaumont Member Posts: 2
    Down, down,down ! per the manual!
  • rbalducc
    rbalducc Member Posts: 3

I have a Sweetwater 1880.  When trailing I leave mine up, and let it rest on the trim lock to keep it steady.  I hope this helps.

• sweetpontoon
    sweetpontoon Member Posts: 1

What do you mean by trim lock?

• MotorBoatin
    MotorBoatin Member Posts: 7
    The manual recommends a "transom saver" for long trips. 
  • Boomer
    Boomer Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Trim lock is a manual lever once you raise the drive it flips down also called tilt lock
  • vetorio
    vetorio Member Posts: 2
    I use my trim lock also on mt etec 115. Raise it up. pull it out, lower it down.
  • Ddancers
    Ddancers Member Posts: 110 ✭✭

I no longer trailer, but all my previous boats always had engine up, and safety lock on.

In the down position they all would have contact the ground at some point.

• PuddlePirate
    PuddlePirate Member Posts: 3
    If you have a Yamaha they actually make a tube that supports the outboard so you do not bend your safety lock when the motor is up. Be careful to put the support tube over the correct lifting piston or you could shear off a grease fitting.